Download the current draft of the 2015 Program!
Download the flyer, spread the word!
The 8th Annual Northwest Conference on
Teaching for Social Justice
October 17th, 2015
Chief Sealth High School
2600 SW Thistle, Seattle, Washington 98126
Keynote Speaker: David Stovall
We Still Need to Trouble the Water:
Race, Revolution and the Struggle for Quality Education
REGISTER BY OCTOBER 9th to GUARANTEE LUNCH
Participants sign-up for workshops on the morning of the event.
For information regarding housing email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are able to provide housing, please email: email@example.com
Professional development opportunities are available!
*Clock Hours: available at the conference
*Credit: 2015 Syllabus
Previous NWTSJ Conference Highlights:
Download the 2014 Program.
Watch Curtis Acosta’s 2013 keynote address HERE
The keynote begins at the 5:30 mark!
Click HERE to watch the 2012 Keynote Address: Bob Peterson
“One Teacher’s Journey to Teaching & Organizing for Justice”
Click HERE to watch the 2012 Pannel on:Transforming Teachers Unions
“Transforming Teachers Unions: How Can Unions be a Force for Social Justice?”
Featuring: Adam Sanchez, Gwen Sullivan, Jesse Hagopian, Emily Crum, & Bob Peterson
Samples of Past Years’ Workshops:
- Education & Capitalism: Struggles for Learning and Liberation
- Taking Back the Statistics: Mathematics as a Tool for Inquiry
- Cultural Cues for Working with African Americans
- Facing Cancer: Social Justice Curriculum for the Biology Classroom
- Interrupting Oppression in the Classroom
- Supporting Undocumented American Youth in Uncertain Times
- Gender and Sexuality 101
- Unearthing the Voices Silenced by History
- Towards Social Justice Unionism: Transforming Teacher Unions
- Sharing the Power of Practice: Writing About Teaching for Social Justice for Rethinking Schools
We seek out and strive to offer workshops that:
- Express a social justice perspective
- Are hands on and practical
- Give participants a chance to talk to one another
For more information, or to submit a workshop proposal, click here.
Over 1,000 educators, students, and parents participated in last year’s Northwest Conference on Teaching for Social Justice. The conference offers the opportunity for participants to build social justice networks of people, knowledge, and resources.
The Northwest Teaching for Social Justice Resources Fair is an extension of our annual conference. We welcome nonprofit, social justice organizations that support the mission of the conference, and whose practice demonstrably aligns with our aims. We share the perspective of our co-sponsor Rethinking Schools, which is “dedicated to sustaining and strengthening public education through social justice teaching and education activism.” Like Rethinking Schools we strive to “promote equity and racial justice in the classroom. We encourage grassroots efforts in our schools and communities to enhance the learning and well-being of our children, and to build broad democratic movements for social and environmental justice.” We strive to work for peace and justice not only in the United States, but throughout the world, and oppose war, militarism, colonialism, and occupation.
If you are interested in applying for this year’s recource fair, or for more information regarding the resource fair, please contact Hyng Nam at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some past Resource Fair participants include:
- Asian Counseling and Referral Services
- Coffee Strong
- Community and Parents for Public Schools
- Cross Cultural Connections
- Haymarket Books
- Institute for Human Education
- Rethinking Schools
- Seattle Solidarity Network
- Sustainable World Coalition
- Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center
- YES! Magazine
Service Times & Directions
Weekend Masses in English
Saturday Morning: 8:00 am
Saturday Vigil: 4:30 pm
Sunday: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:45 am,
12:30 pm, 5:30 pm
Weekend Masses In Español
Saturday Vigil: 6:15pm
Sunday: 9:00am, 7:15pm
Weekday Morning Masses
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 8:30 am
Wonderland, AK 45202