The 7th Annual Northwest Conference on Teaching for Social Justice
October 18th, 2014
Madison High School
2735 NE 82nd Ave. Portland, Oregon 97220
Keynote Speaker: Enid Lee
Disrupting Systems of Racism in Our Districts, Schools, & Classrooms
Special Guest: Stan Karp
Surviving School Reform: When the Reformers Come to Town
THIS YEAR’S PROGRAM: COMING SOON!!!
REGISTER BY OCTOBER 9th to GUARANTEE LUNCH
For information regarding housing or transpiration: email email@example.com
Participants sign-up for workshops on the morning of the event.
Professional development opportunities are available!
An Evening with Angela Johnson
Diversity, Race and Culture in Schools
Spend the evening with Author Angela Johnson!
Discounted tickets for NWTSJ attendees!
Check it out! Go NOW to 2014 OASL Fall Event .
ENTER CODE: NWTSJ2014
October 18, 2014
Reception at 5pm
Previous NWTSJ Conference Highlights:
Watch Curtis Acosta’s 2013 keynote address HERE
The keynote begins at the 5:30 mark!
Click HERE to watch the 2012 Keynote Address: Bob Peterson
“One Teacher’s Journey to Teaching & Organizing for Justice”
Click HERE to watch the 2012 Pannel on:Transforming Teachers Unions
“Transforming Teachers Unions: How Can Unions be a Force for Social Justice?”
Featuring: Adam Sanchez, Gwen Sullivan, Jesse Hagopian, Emily Crum, & Bob Peterson
Samples of Past Years’ Workshops:
- Education & Capitalism: Struggles for Learning and Liberation
- Taking Back the Statistics: Mathematics as a Tool for Inquiry
- Cultural Cues for Working with African Americans
- Facing Cancer: Social Justice Curriculum for the Biology Classroom
- Interrupting Oppression in the Classroom
- Supporting Undocumented American Youth in Uncertain Times
- Gender and Sexuality 101
- Unearthing the Voices Silenced by History
- Towards Social Justice Unionism: Transforming Teacher Unions
- Sharing the Power of Practice: Writing About Teaching for Social Justice for Rethinking Schools
We seek out and strive to offer workshops that:
- Express a social justice perspective
- Are hands on and practical
- Give participants a chance to talk to one another
For more information, or to submit a workshop proposal, click here.
Over 800 educators, students, and parents participated in last year’s Northwest Conference on Teaching for Social Justice. The conference offers the opportunity for participants to build social justice networks of people, knowledge, and resources.
Some past Resource Fair participants include:
- Asian Counseling and Referral Services
- Coffee Strong
- Community and Parents for Public Schools
- Cross Cultural Connections
- Institute for Human Education
- Rethinking Schools
- Seattle Solidarity Network
- Sustainable World Coalition
- Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center
- Haymarket Books
Registration for this year’s Resource Fair is now open.
Service Times & Directions
Weekend Masses in English
Saturday Morning: 8:00 am
Saturday Vigil: 4:30 pm
Sunday: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:45 am,
12:30 pm, 5:30 pm
Weekend Masses In Español
Saturday Vigil: 6:15pm
Sunday: 9:00am, 7:15pm
Weekday Morning Masses
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 8:30 am
Wonderland, AK 45202